Saturday, November 13, 2010

Blog Post 23

Blog Post 23


1. In what ways do you “construct” your identity? In what ways do you “perform” in your daily life?
You construct your identity through several elements. The most obvious being your visual identity through your appearance.  This can include clothing, hair, hygiene, energy, and posture.  Your identity is then also determined by your passions and interests, along with the people you enjoys those with.  Identity is constructed through several contributing elements along with the way you perceive yourself and the way you want others to perceive you.  You perform all these elements every second of every day.

2. Describe some ways in which your personal culture and social environments are “constructed”.
Personal and social environments are very constructed for me at the moment to due to a hectic and over bearing schedule.  Everyday I am confined to a schedule dominated by class and homework.  My actions for the day consist of going a university with a planned agenda and curriculum, and attending to the vast amount of work they construct for me.  Social environments such as parties are constructed or planned by another person so all of their friends and converge and partake in enjoyable activities. The skate park was also a place built where me and my friends interact socially with one another, along with other members of the community.
3. Describe some ways in which your physical environment/space is “constructed”.
Physical environments are constructed by their creators.  For example you construct your own environment by the means of decorating your room.  You design the layout, color, and objects you want to fill your room with.  The same way your room is designed, a house, neighborhood, and entire city is constructed for efficient and controlled living. I suppose I feel as if we live in a sort of constructed society.
4. In your daily life, what would you consider to be “real” and what would you consider to be “constructed/fabricated”?
The things that I consider to be real in my everyday life would have to be engaging in fun activities.  Creating art, Skateboarding, and engaging with people are the "realer" or more organic parts of my life.  Unless I am using my brain to either engage or challenge myself I feel as if I am simply existing. I feel as if Popular media is over saturated with advertisements and censors, and is the most constructed element of everyday life.
5. Describe a narrative tableaux that you might create to be captured by a photograph. A narrative tableaux can be defined as “Several human actors play out scenes from everyday life, history, myth or the fantasy of the direction artist” ( Constructed Realities: The Art of Staged Photography Edited by Michael Kohler , 34).
Something that i find very interesting is that how a majority of girls on campus all girls on campus tend to wear the exact same thing, a black NorthFace pullover and ugg boots.  I don't particularly have a problem with this I just find it odd that no one minds looking like everyone else.  It reminds me of other groups of people that tend to where the same thing such as: prisoners, soldiers, cults, teams, Manufactured items.  I would like to have a photo that parodies this fashion craze, with a large number of girls all wearing their winter get up in some type of line or formation.
6. Describe an idea for a photograph that includes a miniature stage or still life. A description of such an image is “The tableaux reconstructs events as in the narrative tableaux, but in miniaturized format, using dolls and other toy objects” (Kohler, 34).
An interesting image that I think I am going to recreate is cutting out 9 fps sequences from my skateboarding magazine and placing them on very interesting large scale items.  

No comments:

Post a Comment