Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Assignment 4

Composition:  This photograph was inspired by an old CD cover from a band called the groundhogs.  I tried my very best to recreate the sound wave distortion effect they achieved by making several selections in the shape of a circle then copy pasting, and rotating them.  I liked this affect because the distortion seemed to radiate from a central point like that of a speaker or amplifier.  I choose to center my guitarist because i wanted the sound wave to radiate from the center of the composition.  I feel as if the wall with the graffiti could be slightly distracting but isn't to bad.
Aboutness & method:  In creating this message I hoped to create a sense of distortion.  I wanted to create an image that made the viewer feel sound and distortion radiating from a point.  I think this image does achieve this feeling, however I believe to have technically failed in trying to recreate the original cover.
Context: This image definitely plays with your senses.  It creates a struggle for the eyes and puts the viewer in the setting of the photograph.
Interpretation: Students in class responded to this ad quite well.  Everyone said it related to guitar amps well, and portrayed the visual element of distortion.
Evaluation: Based on critique, I believe the message of distortion was conveyed but i would still like to go back and attempt different techniques to achieve a more accurate recreation.
Extension: Shooting advertising photos is a fun opportunity that allows for a lot of digital manipulation. I wold love to shoot a campaign for any particular project.  Whether it is a mock or professional campaigns are a great way to shoot a variety of photos.

Composition:  For this photo I was walking back to my car in downtown Lansing when i noticed this peculiar fallout shelter sign.  In the reflection of the marble i saw the silhouette of the capital building and found it to very ironic.  I choose to up the contrast and do a slight color burn to try and get a dirtier effect, like the pictures of Hiroshima ash shadows.  I also debated whether or not leave the white lines of the marble building in the photo.  I decided after much peer input that they were much more dynamic then distracting.
Aboutness & Motivation:  In creating this image I hoped to portray a grim future for the urban environment.  The shadow of the capital building is quite dark and disturbing, while the fallout shelter sign compliments the mood and helps push the message of destruction and gloom.
Context:  I think this image is a political statement.  I feel it is quite ridiculous that there are fallout shelters in major cities.  So unless they were intended on being used which is a pretty grim and scary thought, what is the point of them?
Interpretation:  Students in class interpreted this as a gloomy nuclear threat photo.  The message hit directly on the head, and they said the dark contrast and graininess helped add to the quality of the photo.
Evaluation:  Based on critique I believe the idea of impending nuclear doom was conveyed.  Of the two pictures i printed this one was liked more because of the contrast.
Extension:  I was actually thinking of using this photo as  jumping off point for my final project.  I think the idea of apocalypse or the end of the world coming up in 2012 is on everyones mind so i was think of doing a series about that.


Composition:  For this photo i was standing in the arch opposite of the one in the center of the frame.  I set the camera on the ground and shot the two people who were entering the room.   I choose to crop out some of the left of the photo to center the bright light in the middle of the photo.  I think this is an interesting light that leads you into the photo.  It also puts emphasis on the interesting silhouettes created by the people.
Aboutness & Motivation:  For this photo I went to the capital building and wanted to take pictures that were newsworthy.  Since the elections were going on, I wanted to get a picture were it appeared that people were heading towards a brighter tomorrow.
Context:  I think the image is strictly just a visual.  It portrays the capital building in an interesting way that you might see on the cover of a magazine.
Interpretation:  this photo wasn't really interpreted as anything besides just a photo with cool lighting. I think if i would have focused more on the people then the overall room this message may have been conveyed better.
Evaluation:  Based on critique i think i went for something that was more abstract then newsy.  I think my photo works for a cover but not as a typical news photo.
Extension:  The capital building is a very beautiful and highly photogenic place.  You could easily do an entire series there.
Composition:  This photo was my Polaroid picture.  For some reason when i think of Polaroids, I think of pictures of toys for one reason or another.  On my desk I have these three toys that i think are cool to have around.  I took a very up close picture because i wanted it to seem like they were less toys and more of characters hanging out.  I also added a little bit of blur to try and make the picture feel a little surreal or nostalgic.  I also felt it helped playoff the fact that it was shot with a "Polaroid".
Aboutness & Motivation:  In creating this image I hoped to show three interesting toys that would help remind people of their own action figures they owned when they were a child.  We all had action figures or dolls as kids, this image provides an interesting look back or into the life of a toy.
Context:  
Interpretation:  In class, students saw this pictures as "Toy's day off".  A sort of narrative as to what the toys are discussing and what they plan on doing.
Evaluation:  Based on critique I believe the idea of a narrative was conveyed, but the feeling of nostalgia wasn't portrayed as well.
Extension:  I love monsters.  I think drawing and photographing anything monsters is always a treat.  Monsters are unique creatures that invoke both fright and humor.


Composition:  For these photos my goal was to converge several characteristics that make yearbook pictures so terrible.  Characteristics such as poor timing, ugly sweaters and glasses, wet combed hair, and just an overall cheesiness.  I centered every subject as a traditional yearbook photo normally calls for.  I then made everyone do various things such as cough, sneeze, blink, or just have a conversation.  the contrast in these photos is a little bit low do to the fact that i wanted to look a little dated so that the sweater and glasses would seem a bit more relevant.  
Aboutness & Motivation:  In creating this image i hoped to make people think of all the terrible cheesy yearkbook photos they have seen over time.  I also tried to give my photos a kind of revenge of the nerds fraternity vibe.  My original inspiration for the photo was actually the terrible plaques fraternities generally have hanging all over their houses.
Context:  I think this image deals with parody.  I am hoping to convey the inner nerd, or great potential for a terrible photo of importance in all of us.
Interpretation:  Students in classes responded to these very well.  Everyone really liked them and got the message right away.
Evaluation:  Based on critique i would keep my photos the way they are.  I may actually re shoot the one of me due to the glare on my classes, but that just adds to the overall nastiness of the photo.  I also haven't achieved a good design or layout for these photos and was told the ovals don't work well.
Extension:  My roommates and I, all had a great time doing this, and wanted to try and attempt to do a really cheesy family portrait of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment