Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Photo Assignment 3

Composition:  For this composition i really wanted to focus on geometric shape, and let strong lines really take over the frame of the photo.  The entire photo is composed of almost all perfect geometric shapes consisting of squares and a few circles.  Sharp hard edge geometric shapes are what cities are composed of so i wanted to find a location where this would be both striking and obvious.  I wanted a straight on shot that centered the subject being the electrical box.  I also wanted to make sure there were elements that lead you off the page such as the blacks(windows and ground strip) along with the silver wire protectors.  It was also really important to focus on the sharpness of the edges.  So to emphasize this I took an HDR to create an almost surreal contrast.
Aboutness & Method:  In creating this image I hoped to emphasize the harsh repetitive shapes created by the urban landscape.  The image displays an absurd amount of straight lines, and perfect shapes.  When taking this picture I thought of the quote "there are no straight lines in nature" and set out to capture the opposite end of the spectrum.
Context:  The image clearly deals with the overwhelming amount of geometic shape and line that you encounter in the urban landscape.  I was inspired by a quote from the movie "bomb it" about how straight lines only exist in the urban landscape and how ugly they are.
Interpretation:  Students in the class understood that the emphasis of the photograph was shape.
Evaluation:  Based on critique, I would like to do a re-shoot from a tripod at a slightly higher angle.
Extension:  Like I have been mentioning the city is overwhelmed with geometry and line.  Focusing on line and shape within the urban landscape is quite beautiful and interesting already, making it a great project to pursue.
Composition:  What originally drew me to this location for this photo was the contrast between the yellow and red doors.  The unique arrangement and juxtaposition of colors I thought made for a really interesting composition.  I decided to place myself on the landing between stair sets so I could try and evenly balance the doors within the frame.  I also wanted to leave part of the wall in to invite you into the photo.  I choose to crop out all of the staircase information to try and confuse the viewer a little more as well.  I also choose to play with the distortion tool a little as well to try and make for a more confusing perspective.
Aboutness & Motivation:  In creating this image I wanted to show a confusing perspective that offered strong contrast, with a focus on shape and line.  The image portrays a sense of confusion as to where you are viewing this space from and how you are seeing it in this manner.
Context:  I think this image definitely deals with psychology and hopefully causes the viewer to struggle a little with what they are viewing.
Interpretation:  Students in class interpreted the photo as having cool contrast and an interesting perspective but, weren't really confused or even noticed the distortion.
Evaluation:  Based on critique, I would like to go back and exaggerate the distortion a bit more so my photo can achieve what it is try.
Compositon:  For this photo I was underneath the graffiti bridge on farm lane, pointing straight up into this big nasty spider web.  I had to zoom in a little bit so i could pick up some of the spiders better.  This was also an interesting photo to shoot as well because it was a pitch black night, and the subject itself is a green light covered in spider gunk.  I really tried to get a close up view because i wanted the viewer to feel the texture of the spider webs.  I feel as if the texture is strong but due to the contrast doesn't achieve the nasty feeling so well.
Aboutness & Motivation:  In creating this image, I thought to myself what inflicts a strong emotion, and the first thing that came to my mind was spiders.  Spiders create fear, paranoia, and disgust.  I really tried to focus on the spiders and their webbing.
Context:  The image deals with emotion.  I'm hoping that image will elicit a negative emotion towards the picture.  I was inspired by my own paranoia and feelings towards spiders.
Evaluation: Based on critique, I believe the idea of negative emotion is conveyed as, i overheard some girls saying gross.
Extension:  Disgusting and vulgar is always fun, so why not pursue strong negative emotional responses in a series of photographs.  It would also be interesting to do a narrative showing your own personal fears.
Composition:  For this photo shape and light are the very strong visual elments that tend to dominate the composition.  The photo has very interesting water color, enchanting feeling to it.  I believe this was achieved due to the unique tungsten light, and heavy shadow cast by a outdoor pavillion.  The blur of the camera also helps to create the digital noise that is creating the very interesting textures.  I was also very drawn to the strong triangle shaped shadow created by the tree on the left.

Aboutness & Motivation:  In creating this image, I just happened to notice this bizarre light coming off the roof so i decided to shoot a couple of photos.  When I saw what i had captured i was very excited and shot several more.  The image portrays a very gloomy setting.  It is very hard to understand what you are seeing because it blends an urban structure into nature.
Context:  This image deals with light and shadow.  I am hoping to convey the juxtaposition of rural and urban scenery.
Interpretation:  Students in class interpreted the photo as something very beautiful and interesting to look at.
Evaluation:  Nobody had really anything to say negatively about the photo but I would of liked to personally print multiple copies to find the most interesting print.
Extension:   I am very interested in taking pictures that look like paintings.  I think it would be very cool to play with light and color and try to get things to appear more painter like.

No comments:

Post a Comment