Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Assignment 2 Final Prints


Composition: My composition is pretty strong in this photo due specifically to the amount of the subject to show in the frame.  I carefully cropped the image so the subject would appear alone on the street.  This was important because at the actual street spot, everyone at the bus stop was ignoring and her just walking right by.  She also had this disgruntled look on her face, that i felt would be more meaningful with the lack of people for her to express it to.  The angle at which i took the photo at was due to the interesting shadow in which she was standing in and also to avoid the large group of people who were ignoring her to the right.
Concept/aboutness/idea:  In creating this image i wanted to stress the fact that there are so many people out there that go unheard.  It doesn't even matter what their message is, people are to ignorant and judgmental to give people the time of day.  I think the fact that she is also standing in the shadow also helps describe her role or position in society. 
Context:  I really think this image deals with social critique.  It shows how people are moving to fast to realize important messages or even other people.  I'm very fascinated with homeless people and how they choose to spend their free time, which is what led me to take a picture of this women.
Interpretation:  This image seemed to be pretty straight-forward to everyone, and they all seemed to interpret it the same way.  It was said that she was being ignored, or alone and had no one to convey her message to.
Evaluation: Based on critique the idea of being alone/ignored works very well.  However when printed I lost a lot of contrast, and was also told to darken the sky and whiten the sign, which kind of goes along with loss of contrast.
Extension: Like I mentioned earlier homless people and how they allocate their time is very fascinating, and i would love to attempt a series.


Composition: For this photograph i really was focused on the timing of the subject in the air.  I also made sure to be at a angle that provide sufficient space to capture the subject, but also allowed other elements to be in the frame as well.  I took a lower angle to the ground and aimed up, as to get the best view of the subject.  I also framed this photo very carefully by having the lines on the cement go to both of the bottom corners.  I think this adds an interesting element to the photo that helps lead you in and guide you to the subject.  I really wanted to incorporate the roof of the pavilion a more, but it just didn't seem to fit in the frame well.
Concept/aboutness/idea:  In creating this image i really wanted to show what me and my friends do for fun.  Photography is a big part of skateboarding that helps prove and capture amazing, beautiful moments that happen for just a split second.
Context:  This image has to do with speed and timing.  I believe i captured this imaged a very good moment, just before he catches the kick flip.  I was inspired by the everyday awesomeness of my friends, and the countless amounts of skateboarding related photographs I've seen.
Interpretation:  Students in class interpreted this photo as a kid skateboarding.  It is pretty straightforward and plain so not much of a surprise.
Evaluation:  Based on critique, the idea of a fast moment frozen in time was conveyed.  However I lost a lot of contrast when i printed so i think i need to darken my blacks next time.
Extension:  I love skateboarding and taking picture of my friends shredding, so i am going to continue to take photos as long as the weather allows.



Composition:  I included a very small amount of my body in the frame, and at an awkward angle, because i wanted to try and emphasize the unique form the body can take, and to emphasize my awkward personality.  I decided to shoot against a white door to eliminate a background.  The original inspiration by Robert Mapplethorpe also used a white background and i really liked the contrast created so i decided to do the same.  There is also a slight blur to this photo that wasn't intentional but i kind of like. I feel like it helps convey a message of shyness.
Aboutness/Movtivations/Method:  In creating this image i was hoping to try and make an interesting composition along with allowing a little bit of my personality to bleed through.  Everyone takes self-portraits and it is very difficult to give them character, or self-reflection especially when you are taking them yourself.
Context:  The image deals with personal identity and the human body as form.  I was inspired by Robert Mapplethorpe's self-portrait from the 70s.  I think the image does a good job of playing off of the original but is very different from it as well.
Evaluation:  Based on critique, I believe the message of awkwardness blended with a interesting composition was achieved.  I originally wasn't even going to print this photo but it was very well received by the class.
Extension:  I think it is really hard to capture a self-portrait that is very self-reflective, i think it would be interesting to capture who you are in different spaces.


Composition:  For this photo i was playing with light to try and create an interesting photo.  Contrast is very important in this photo due to it's unique location.  The bright overhead fluorescent lights helped create a strong contrast and a bunch of unique shadows and textures.  The picture didn't come out as nearly as clear as i hoped due to having to shoot in a higher ISO.  There are still some interesting things that are in-focus i just wish there was a more equal distribution of sharpness.  I tried to center the subject in the center of the frame because i wanted it to seem as if he was rising out of the rapids into the night.
Aboutness/Motivations/Method:  In creating this image I wanted to really create something that was quite shocking involving shadow.  I thought of peter pan's playful shadow and was going for something to that degree.  The image portrays a sense of being reborn or emergence.
Context:  The image deals mostly with light and shadow.  I was really trying to do something very bold and visually enjoyable, well at the same time challenging the viewer.
Interpretation:  The image was interpreted as playing with shadows and textures.  It was interesting to hear more about the range of texture then contrast during critique.  Of course everyone wished it was sharper too.
Evaluation:  Based on critique I believe i created something interesting playing with light and texture, but really need to have the photo in very crisp focus.
Extension:  Shadows are a very unique and interesting thing to shoot. I can have a blast taking photos of all sorts of interesting shadows created not only by people but objects as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment