Tuesday, November 23, 2010

[5] constructed Reality Finals

For my social critique prompt I really wanted to do something that would revisit the BP oil spill. It is something that continues to affect our environment and is hardly touched on in the news. I needed to capture a large body of water and some BP imagery which was quite the challenge here in Michigan.  I went to Lake Lansing which is the largest body of water in the area and photographed the lake. I also passed a BP on the way there and took several photos of both the gas station and its customers. I masked off the water and darkened the water quite a bit in order to show an dark oily water. I also lightened the sky a little bit to cast a sort of polluted mood. I then placed a BP gas sign in the center of the lake do to represent the high amount of BP oil in the water and how it would be easily accessibly.
Part 2: 
Interpretation: Students in-class definetly understood the imagery as an oil spill created by b.p.
Evaluation: During class critique it was brought up that i had darkened the water to much, and that it might have been much more affective to rather darken the highlights.  The water may be a touch extreme, but i'm not sure if highlights would produce the desired effect.
Extension: Social critique is very important, and needs to be brought to the eye more often. I think it is very interesting to take a current event(s) and make a relevant series that makes fun of or critiques it.
For my miniature prompt I really wanted to show a fantasy I have always had about skateboarding in the  sink or the bathtub.  I constructed the set set by cutting out a good picture from a skateboarding magazine and taping it to the edge of the sink. I took several shots in order to get a unique shadow cast, which I think helped add to the realism of the photo.  The light was cast from overhead, using just the tungsten light from the bathroom.  I think some distracting elements of the photo would definitely have to be the areas I've photoshopped.  The area on the sink that I drew just doesn't have that crisp edge.
Part2:
Interpretation: Students in-class saw this image as a very cool image of a small person skateboarding in the bathroom. A few people thought that it was a real person and not a magazine cut-out, which I think was a great thing.
Evaluation: I think the image really works well but there are a few areas that are photoshoped quite poorly.  For my final project I need to put in more time to create a more seamless smooth photo.
Extension: Like i've mentioned before this is the launching point for my final project where I am either going to fufill miniature fantasies or do a series based just on skateboarding.
This photo is both a sort of constructed collage and social critique. This is the critique on society and how they have become to destructed to perform easy everyday tasks, such as braking at a stop sign. For this photo I wanted to construct a second warning stop sign to alert drivers of the stop sign 15 ft in front of them.  I think I achieved the sign quite nicely but the composition still suffers a great deal. It would have been real nice to show a car passing by or even colliding with another car. I shot this in natural light in the middle of the day, and the yellow square sign was captured on the opposite side of the street and the digitally placed in front of the stop sign.
Part2: 
Interpretation:   Student's in class didn't really interpret this message anywhere nearly as well as i hoped. I guess if you live at my house or on the my street the message is a lot more obvious. I really think a more interesting angle/simle composition might of helped sell it much better. Like i said above being much more literal with cars would really help the message hit better.
Evaluation: I would definetly choose different imagery if I were to reshoot.  Like I said without prior knowledge abut the location, the message is almost missed entirely.
Extension: I think it would be very cool to do a series of imaginary or created street signs that critique popular culture.
For this photo I really wanted to try and create something that was similar to sandy skoglund's highly manipulated and repetitious photos using snacks from around the house. I wanted there to be a very loaded composition which also was high in contrast so the shapes would be recognizable.  I shot the photo from overhead with a low flash borrowing the light from the kitchen as well.  I tried to get the flash to reflect off the table in the middle of the composition to center the attention on the prey. I really think my photo is comic in the sense that the processed food in animal form has taken on a rather predatory role and is acting out it's function as if it were in a natural setting.
Part 2:
Interpretation: Student's in class didn't really have a whole lot to say, but the viewed it as a photo with good contrast. I'm not sure if the message of consumption was conveyed at all.
Evaluation: I think that after taking this photo, I would have liked to have shot it on a much larger scale. I enjoy the contrast and lighting. I think overwhelming the single worm with more goldfish would make the concept stronger.
Extension: I think it is very cool to capture food in non-traditional ways. Whether it's arranging a composition, or by physically manipulating the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment